Archives for: March 2011


Permalink 03:24:01 pm, by Kathy Email , 216 words, 726 views   English (US)
Categories: Updates

March 21, 2011- showed up at 8AM @ Diagnostic Center to get injected with radioactive dye so that during surgery they could tell which lymph nodes that dye went to 1st and remove those. Surgery center told me to come on over even though I wasn't scheduled until noon! We arrived at East Memphis Surgery Center (after finally finding it!)and got checked in by 9am. Sat in the waiting area and dozed off and on (since I had pulled one of my late nights- let me get things in order since I'm going to be out of commission). They finally called me back to get me ready for surgery around 11:30 and started surgery around 1pm. During surgery they removed the 2x2.5 cm tumor, took 2 lymph nodes to check for cancer cells, and inserted my port-a-cath that I will receive the chemo through. I woke in recovery around 2:30 and was headed home by 4pm (amazing what they can do outpatient!). Was home by 4:30 with all kinds of folks calling to check on me! Facebook friends were waiting anxiously to hear too! What a blessing to have our dear friend Amy Hertter walk in with dinner for us that night! Our sweet friends from church are bringing us meals for the next 2 weeks which will be such a help!

Permalink 03:10:55 pm, by Kathy Email , 55 words, 762 views   English (US)
Categories: Updates

March 14, 2011- had mammogram & ultrasound which showed some places with dense tissue, but not more cancer (biopsy wasn't necessary). Thank you,Lord!
March 17, 2011- got the call that my genetic tests were negative for breast cancer mutations which surprised me since I have been diagnosed so early! Great news, though, especially for our girls!

Permalink 03:07:38 pm, by Kathy Email , 26 words, 1162 views   English (US)
Categories: Updates


Permalink 09:10:58 am, by John Email , 78 words, 839 views   English (US)
Categories: News

Kathy has a blog!

Kathy, my wonderful wife, was diagnosed with breast cancer last month. She has triple negative, invasive, ductal carcinoma. She had surgery Monday March 21st to remove the tumor. I have set her up with her own blog so that she can share her experiences and thoughts with those that are interested. You can find a link to it at the top of the page. We both appreciate your continued prayers and notes of support. She will beat this!


Permalink 03:19:33 pm, by Kathy Email , 495 words, 980 views   English (US)
Categories: Updates

Beginning my journey with breast cancer!

Feb. 11, 2011- found a lump that I thought was a swollen lymph node in my armpit
Feb. 14, 2011- called my OB/ Gyn to get her recommendation (she was out of office)
Feb. 15, 2011- her office called back and referred me to Dr. Michael Berry (who is a surgical oncologist)
Feb. 16, 2011- went to see Dr. Berry's FNP (nurse practitioner) who did an ultrasound and said this 2x 2.5 cm mass had no characteristics of cancer, that it was probably just something related to me still nursing. She advised we go ahead and set up a biopsy to rule that out, though.
Feb. 22, 2011- Saw Dr. Berry who was sure this was a ruptured milk duct or lactating cyst. He had FNP try to draw milk out with a syringe, but they got none and I saw his face get a bit concerned. Then he said, "Well, that wasn't it, but it is probably just a cyst." He went ahead with biopsy to clear our minds from that worry.
Feb. 23, 2011- Dr. Berry called and said, "Do you have a minute?" I was standing in the living room holding Sarah. He said, "I'm afraid you have breast cancer." Me:"Are you kidding me?" Dr B:"Ma'am, I don't joke about things like this." Me:"Well, I know you don't and I know that was a dumb question, but really?" Dr. B:"I'm afraid so, and I am just as shocked as you are- this is the last thing I was expecting." He said he only had the verbal pathology report back right now, but would have the written report back the next day. He asked if I could come to his office the next day and I said, "Whatever I need to do!"
Feb. 24, 2011- John and I went to Dr. Berry's office and he told us that it was invasive ductal carcinoma, grade 3 (which are more aggressive cells). He also said it was ER and PR negative (estrogen and progesterone) and we needed to run one more test to see if it was Her2 + or -, which might allow an additional medicine to treat it with. He recommended a lumpectomy, but said I'd need chemo and radiation too. He had me get a mammogram in his office to make sure there weren't any other places, but it was hard read due to the milk, so he wanted to get an MRI to take a different look at things. Since an MRI is affected by hormones we had to wait until I had my cycle for that.
March 3, 2011- met with Geneticist about having genetic testing to see if I have mutated breast cancer gene that would put me at more risk for recurrence and let me know if our girls were @ risk. She said they would check with my insurance since it is a $4000 test before they did the test. I decided if ins would cover it, it would be worth it.
March 8, 2011- had MRI

Our Combined Blogs

This blog aggregates all posts from all other blogs.

March 2011
Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun
 << < Current> >>
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31    



XML Feeds

What is RSS?

Who's Online?

  • Guest Users: 28

powered by